Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

    Oct 28, 2020  
2014-2015 Gaston College Catalog 

College Transfer

College Transfer Programs

(Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and Associate in Fine Arts)

Gaston College offers a college transfer program for students intending to transfer to a four-year college or university by offering courses that parallel those offered during the first two years at four-year institutions. Students who transfer from Gaston College pursue majors such as Agriculture, Anthropology, Architecture, Art, Business Administration, Commercial Art, Design, Education, Engineering, English, Fine Arts, Foreign Language, History, Mathematics, Music, Pre-Law, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Ministry, Pharmacy, Psychology, Science, Sociology, Textiles, and others. Students may complete a 60-61 hour Associate in Arts  (AA),  Associate in Fine Arts  (AFA), or Associate in Science  Degree (AS). Students not interested in pursuing a degree may enroll in courses for personal growth and fulfillment.

One semester hour of credit for a Work Based Learning (WBL) or ACA course may be included in a 61- hour Associate of Art or Associate of Science, or  a 65-hour Associate in Fine Arts. This course will receive transfer evaluation (not necessarily credit) by the receiving institution.

Each student should confer with a transfer counselor or advisor about course selection prior to registration. Only with approval of the appropriate academic dean may students substitute courses for those specifically required for graduation and courses outside the area of specialization. Students are responsible for the proper completion of their academic programs based upon the requirements stated in the Gaston College Catalog in conjunction with the current schedule.

Transfer counselors or advisors will provide assistance to students regarding transfer to other institutions. Transfer of credits from one institution to another is subject to change. It is the responsibility of the transferring students to research their prospective senior institution. Students may contact the Transfer Advising Center at Gaston College or the admissions office at the college to which they plan to transfer for information and guidance on transfer of credits. Although faculty, staff, counselors, advisors, and administrators are available to help students with planning, the responsibility rests upon the individual student.

The Transfer Advising Center is located in the Myers Center, room 249. Center services are available for students on a drop-in and appointment basis from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Thursday and 9 am to 4 pm on Fridays during the academic year. Summer hours are 9 am until 6 pm on Monday and 9 am to 2 pm Tuesday through Thursday.

To reach the Transfer Advising Center, please call 704-922-6576 or 704-923-8402. You may also call or text 704-813-7194.

Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA)

Under the provisions of House Bill 739 and Senate Bill 1161, the North Carolina Community College System and the University of North Carolina system have developed a Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) to facilitate the transfer of credits for community college students.

Gaston College graduates of Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degree programs who have made a "C" or better in each course will be considered to have fulfilled the institution-wide, general education requirements of UNC schools to which they are admitted and will be admitted as Juniors. Foreign language and physical education requirements of receiving institutions must still be met.

The North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities have adopted a parallel version of the CAA (ICAA). The following private colleges and universities in North Carolina honor the ICAA: Barton, Belmont Abbey, Bennett, Brevard, Campbell, Catawba, Chowan, Gardner-Webb, Johnston C. Smith, Lees McRae, Livingstone, Louisburg, Mars Hill, Montreat, Mount Olive, North Carolina Wesleyan, Peace, Pfeiffer, Queens, St. Andrews, Saint Augustine's, Shaw, Warren Wilson, and Wingate.

Graduation Requirements

In order to graduate with an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree, students must have a grade of "C" or better in each course applied towards degree requirements. Students who make below a "C" in a course should either retake the course or should take a course to substitute for that course.

Students who wish to apply grades of "D" for graduation, may petition for graduation in the Associate in General Education degree program, which is not designed as a transfer program.


The following courses have been approved as electives for transfer degrees.













BIO 180 Biological Chemistry (3 Credit Hours) 

































MAT 143 Quantitative Literacy (3 Credit Hours) 

MAT 152 Statistical Methods I (4 Credit Hours) 









MUS 110 Music Appreciation (3 Credit Hours) 

MUS 112 Introduction to Jazz (3 Credit Hours) 
PED 110 Fit and Well for Life (2 Credit Hours)