Feb 22, 2024
The cosmetology curriculum is designed to provide competency-based knowledge, scientific/artistic principles, and hands-on fundamentals associated with the cosmetology industry. The curriculum provides a simulated salon environment which enables students to develop manipulative skills.
Course work includes instruction in all phases of professional imaging, hair design, chemical processes, skin care, nail care, multi-cultural practices, business/computer principles, product knowledge, and other selected topics.
Graduates should qualify to sit for the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts examination. Upon successfully passing the State Board exam, graduates will be issued a license. Employment is available in beauty salons and related businesses.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the use of safety and infection control practices as they perform client services.
- Conduct cosmetic services successfully by applying Professional Ethics.
- Develop cosmetology skills including hairstyling, haircutting, chemical applications, various hair color services, wet setting, thermal styling, ethnic hairstyling, manicures, pedicures, artificial nails, artificial hair, and skin care services.
- Pass a mock final examination of the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts examination prior to completing the program.
- Demonstrate appropriate customer service attributes to ensure effective client consultations and customer relations.
- Demonstrate effective public speaking skills to ensure effective client consultations and customer relations.
- Demonstrate effective management skills to maximize daily business operations.
Course Selection Information
Students, to help you progress in your degree program, take prerequisite courses along with English and Math early in your academic career. This will align you for greater success in completing your program of study. Click on the courses listed below to ensure you are aware of prerequisites. The order shown below under the student program priorities is a guide.
Student Program Priorities:
- COS 111, COS 112
Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Cosmetology Program MUST meet the Gaston College admission requirements.
- Submit a Gaston College Application
- Complete Residency Determination for in-state tuition
- Apply for financial aid
- Meet with an advisor / Attend an information session
- Submit official transcripts
- Provide proof of course placement requirements
Additional requirements to be eligible to submit an application to the Cosmetology Program:
- Applicants must fill out a separate Cosmetology application.
- Must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 or better in required college courses.
- Must have grades of “C” or better in all related courses.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from all clinical, laboratory and class activities.
Gaston College Cosmetology Associate Degree program is licensed by the N.C. Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners.
Humanities/Fine Arts Elective
Select one (1) course from the following:
Upon completion of these requirements the student is eligible for a Associate of Applied Science and may apply for the State Board of Cosmetic Arts examination. Upon successfully passing the State Board exam, graduates will be issued a license.