Aug 11, 2022  
2013-14 Gaston College Catalog 

College Transfer

College Transfer Programs

(Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and Associate in Fine Arts)

Gaston College offers a college transfer program for students intending to transfer to a four-year college or university by offering courses that parallel those offered during the first two years at four-year institutions. Students who transfer from Gaston College pursue majors such as Agriculture, Anthropology, Architecture, Art, Business Administration, Commercial Art, Design, Education, Engineering, English, Fine Arts, Foreign Language, History, Mathematics, Music, Pre-Law, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Ministry, Pharmacy, Psychology, Science, Sociology, Textiles, and others. Students may complete a 44-hour Diploma in Arts  (DA) or Diploma in Science  (DS) or a 64-65 hour Associate in Arts  (AA),  Associate in Fine Arts  (AFA), or Associate in Science  Degree (AS). Students not interested in pursuing a degree may enroll in courses for personal growth and fulfillment.

A Cooperative Education (COE) or ACA course of one semester hour of credit may be included in a 65 semester hour credit degree program such as Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, and Associate in Sciences. This course will receive transfer evaluation (not necessarily credit) by the receiving institution.

Each student should confer with a counselor or advisor about course selection prior to registration. Only with approval of the appropriate academic dean may students substitute courses for those specifically required for graduation and courses outside the area of specialization. Students are responsible for the proper completion of their academic programs based upon the requirements stated in the Gaston College Catalog in conjunction with the current schedule.

Counselors or advisors will provide assistance to students regarding transfer to other institutions. Transfer of credits from one institution to another is subject to change. It is the responsibility of the transferring students to research their prospective senior institution. Students may contact the counseling department of Gaston College or the admissions office at the college to which they plan to transfer for information and guidance on transfer of credits. Although faculty, staff, counselors, advisors, and administrators are available to help students with planning, the responsibility rests upon the individual student.

Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA)

Under the provisions of House Bill 739 and Senate Bill 1161, the North Carolina Community College System and the University of North Carolina system have developed a Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) to facilitate the transfer of credits for community college students.

Gaston College graduates of Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degree programs who have made a C or better in each course will be considered to have fulfilled the institution-wide, general education requirements of UNC schools to which they are admitted and will be admitted as Juniors. Foreign language and physical education requirements of receiving institutions must still be met.

Transfer students from Gaston College who have completed the 44 hours of general education classes (core classes or Diploma in Arts or Diploma in Science) with a C or better in each class will be considered to have fulfilled the institution-wide, general education requirements of UNC schools. The general education core is a set of 44 semester hours (S.H.) that specifically includes approved courses in the following:  

English Composition 6 SHC 6 SHC
Humanities/Fine Arts 12 SHC 9 SHC
Social Behavioral Sciences 12 SHC 9 SHC
Natural Sciences 8 SHC 8-12 SHC
Math 6 SHC 8-12 SHC

Transfer students from Gaston College who have not completed the 44 hours of general education classes (core classes) with a C or better in each class or who have not graduated will have to meet the general education requirements of the receiving institution. These students will have their transcripts evaluated on a course-by-course basis by the receiving universities.

The North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities have adopted a parallel version of the CAA (ICAA). The following private colleges and universities in North Carolina honor the ICAA: Barton, Belmont Abbey, Bennett, Brevard, Campbell, Catawba, Chowan, Gardner-Webb, Johnston C. Smith, Lees McRae, Livingstone, Louisburg, Mars Hill, Montreat, Mount Olive, North Carolina Wesleyan, Peace, Pfeiffer, Queens, St. Andrews, Saint Augustine’s, Shaw, Warren Wilson, and Wingate.

Graduation Requirements

In order to graduate with an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree, students must have a grade of “C” or better in each course applied towards degree requirements. Students who make below a “C” in a course should either retake the course or should take a course to substitute for that course.

Students who wish to apply grades of “D” for graduation, may petition for graduation in the Associate in General Education degree program, which is not designed as a transfer program.


The following courses have been approved as electives for transfer degrees.








ART All art courses have been approved as electives for transfer degrees.















BIO 165 & 166 must be taken at the same school to transfer.




BIO 180 Biological Chemistry (3 Credit Hours)  



BIO 265 Cell Biology (4 Credit Hours)  




BIO 285 Research and Measurement (4 Credit Hours)  

















































































































MUS All music courses have been approved as electives for trasfer degrees.

PED All physical education courses have been approved as electives for transfer degrees. 
























































The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement enables Gaston College graduates to transfer with junior status.