Curriculum in the Mobile Equipment Maintenance and Repair pathway prepare individuals for employment as entry-level transportation service technicians. The program provides an introduction to transportation industry careers and increases student awareness of the diverse technologies associated with this dynamic and challenging field.
Course work may include transportation systems theory, braking systems, climate control, design parameters, drive trains, electrical/electronic systems, engine repair, engine performance, environmental regulations, materials, product finish safety, steering/suspension, transmission/transaxles, and sustainable transportation, depending on the program major area chosen.
Graduates of this pathway should be prepared to take professional licensure exams, which correspond to certain programs of study, and to enter careers as entry-level technicians in the transportation industry.
Automotive Systems Technology: A program that prepares individuals to apply technical knowledge and skills to repair, service, and maintain all types of automobiles. Includes instruction in brake systems, electrical systems, engine performance, engine repair, suspension and steering, automatic and manual transmissions and drive trains, and heating and air condition systems.
ADMISSION INFORMATION: VALID DRIVER'S LICENSE REQUIRED.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Communicate effectively both written and orally.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of automotive systems technology through formative, summative, and performance assessments.
- Demonstrate proper use of automotive related tools and electronic equipment.
- Demonstrate good reasoning skills, troubleshooting various automotive drivability issues.
- Demonstrate good computer skills to locate automotive repair information.
- Demonstrate automotive knowledge that is current, complete, and applicable to today’s industry standards.
- Demonstrate professionalism and manual dexterity.
The Automotive Systems Technology program is nationally accredited by National Technician Education Foundation (NATEF).