The Health and Fitness Science program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for employment in the fitness and exercise industry.
Students will be trained in exercise science and be able to administer basic fitness tests and health risk appraisals, teach specific exercise and fitness classes and provide instruction in the proper use of exercise equipment and facilities.
Graduates should qualify for employment opportunities in commercial fitness clubs, YMCAs/YWCAs, wellness programs in business and industry, Parks & Recreation Departments and other organizations implementing exercise & fitness programs.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competency and knowledge of kinesiology and exercise physiology.
- Demonstrate, instruct, and administer proper exercise testing methods.
- Design, plan, and lead individual and group exercise programs.
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge, skills, and abilities to be a successful and proficient personal trainer.
- Demonstrate competency and knowledge of fitness facility management.
Course Selection Information
Students, to help you progress in your degree program, take prerequisite courses along with English and Math early in your academic career. This will align you for greater success in completing your program of study. Click on the courses listed below to ensure you are aware of prerequisites. The order shown below under the student program priorities is a guide.
Student Program Priorities:
- HFS 110
- HFS 111