2021-22 Gaston College Catalog
Health Information Technology, A.A.S. (A45360)
The Health Information Technology Curriculum is designed to provide individuals with the technical knowledge and skills to process, analyze, maintain, and report health information data in compliance with legal, accreditation, licensure and certification standards.
Course work includes diagnosis and procedure coding/classification systems, privacy and security strategies, health informatics, data analytics and use, revenue cycle management, regulatory compliance, and organizational leadership.
Graduates of this program may be eligible to write the national certification exam to become a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT). Employment opportunities include hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, nursing homes, health insurance organizations, outpatient clinics, physicians’ offices, hospice, and mental health facilities.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate effective, professional written and oral communication skills with consumers and co-workers.
- Use and apply critical thinking skills and basic health information management principles to recognize, analyze, and solve problems.
- Perform and interpret math calculations related to descriptive healthcare statistics.
- Use current technology to access and process health information.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary for entry-level health information competencies.
- Practice in a legal, ethical, and professional manner by demonstrating responsibility, initiative, positive attitudes toward those of diverse backgrounds, integrity, time management skills, and the ability to work in teams in a healthcare setting.
Students applying for admission to this program MUST meet all Gaston College admission requirements for General Admission to the College. In addition, students will need to demonstrate college readiness for English and math as exhibited through the college placement test, a placement test waiver, or completion of the acceptable coursework. Your academic advisor will be able to assist you in determining your college readiness.
For students interested in applying to this program at Gaston College please note that it has limited enrollment and participates in a selective admission criteria process to select the most qualified applicants for admission. Students will need to make an appointment with their Admissions Specialist/Advisor in order to review admission requirements and to verify if the student has met selective admission criteria in order to submit an application by the deadline. Students interested in participating in the selective admission process for this program can find additional information and program admission requirements under the subheading “limited enrollment/selective admission” in the College Catalog.
Level 1: $6 per lab hour for Art, Business, Health, Languages, and Math
Level 2: $12 per lab hour for Computer Information, and Natural Sciences
Level 3: $18 per lab hour for Engineering and Industrial, Central Sterile Processing, Health & Fitness Science/Physical Education, Medical Assisting, Phlebotomy, Pharmacy Technology, and Nurse Aide
Level 4: $24 per lab hour for Cosmetology, Esthetics, Veterinary Medical Technology, Practical Nursing, EMS, Associate Degree Nursing, and Health Information Technology
Malpractice Insurance (required for nursing and allied health services programs students): $13 per year