2021-22 Gaston College Catalog
Medical Office Administration - General, A.A.S. (A25310GE)
The Medical Office Administration-General curriculum prepares individuals for entry-level positions in medical and other health-care related offices.
Course work will include medical terminology; information systems; office management; medical coding, billing and insurance; legal and ethical issues; and formatting and word processing. Students will learn administrative and support functions and develop skills applicable in medical environments.
Graduates should qualify for employment in medical and dental offices, hospitals, insurance companies, laboratories, medical supply companies, and other health-care related organizations. Upon graduation, students may be eligible to sit for industry-recognized certification exams.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate proper use of medical terminology and abbreviations used in medical offices and medical information management systems.
- Demonstrate, identify and assess appropriate procedures and tasks performed in an office environment.
- Demonstrate, identify and assess appropriate procedures for creating and formatting mailable medical office documents.
Course Selection Information
Students, to help you progress in your degree program, take prerequisite courses along with English and Math early in your academic career. This will align you for greater success in completing your program of study. Click on the courses listed below to ensure you are aware of prerequisites. The order shown below under the student program priorities is a guide.
Student Program Priorities:
- OST 130 , OST 137 , OST 141 , OST 148 (fall only course)
- OST 134 , OST 136 , OST 164