The Therapeutic Massage Diploma - Spa Specialist curriculum includes coursework from both the Therapeutic Massage Diploma curriculum as well as the Esthetics Technology Certificate curriculum. This coursework will provide the graduate with additional employable skills in the spa setting.
The Therapeutic Massage curriculum prepares graduates to work in direct client care settings providing manipulation / massage of the soft tissue structures of the body to prevent and alleviate pain, discomfort, muscle spasm, and stress, and to promote health and wellness.
Courses include content in normal human anatomy and physiology, therapeutic massage, ethical /legal issues, business practices, and psychology. Students should be able to perform entry level therapeutic massage with various populations throughout the lifespan.
The Esthetics Technology curriculum provides competency-based knowledge, scientific/artistic principles and hands-on fundamentals associated with the art of skin care. The curriculum provides a simulated salon environment which enables students to develop manipulative skills.
Course work includes instruction in all phases of professional Esthetics Technology, business/human relations, product knowledge, and other related topics.
Employment opportunities include health care facilities, chiropractors’ offices, spas /health/sports clubs, and private practice. Graduates may be eligible to take the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam. Upon passing this exam, a candidate may apply for North Carolina State License for Massage and Bodywork. Licensure is MANDATORY to practice massage in the state of North Carolina. Refer to website: www.bmbt.org for details.
The Therapeutic Massage curriculum offers three options: a degree, diploma and certificate(s) programs. Completion of the degree program is highly recommended as it prepares the graduate to be a practitioner with a broader knowledge base in the practice of Therapeutic Massage.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Plan, organize and deliver an effective massage session.
- Perform within the ethical, legal and professional parameters set forth by the NC Board of Massage & Bodywork.
- Perform massage therapy and bodywork for therapeutic benefits.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the following esthetics concepts: orientation, anatomy, physiology, hygiene, sterilizations, first aid, chemistry, basic dermatology, and professional ethics.
- Demonstrate safe and competent techniques for the following procedures: client consultation, facials, body treatments, hair removal, makeup applications, and color analysis.