Aug 15, 2022
The Cosmetology Instructor curriculum provides a course of study for learning the skills needed to teach the theory and practice of cosmetology as required by the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts. Course work includes requirements for becoming an instructor, introduction to teaching theory, methods and aids, practice teaching, and development of evaluation instruments. Graduates of the program may be employed as cosmetology instructors in public or private education and business.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Identify theories of education and develop lesson plans for an active learning environment.
- Deliver classroom instruction in an active learning environment.
- Demonstrate supervisory techniques to effectively oversee students in a clinical setting.
- Assess student performance in a classroom setting to meet the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts standards.
- Keep accurate records of student performances in a clinical setting.
Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Cosmetology Instructor Certificate Program MUST meet all Gaston College admission requirements for GENERAL ADMISSION to the college.
- Complete Residency Determination
- Submit a Gaston College Application
- Apply for financial aid
- Meet with an advisor and/or attend an information session
- Submit official high school (and college, if applicable) transcripts
- Provide proof of course placement requirements
Additional requirements to be eligible to submit an application to the Cosmetology Program
- Applicants must fill out a separate Cosmetology application.
- Applicants must have an Associate of Applied Science in Cosmetology to enroll in this coursework.
- Applicants must have a valid Cosmetology license.
- Applicants must have at least 2 years of experience in a salon.
- Must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 or better in required college courses.
- Must have grades of “C” or better in all related courses.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from all clinical, laboratory and class activities.
Gaston College Cosmetology Instructor Certificate program is licensed by the N.C. Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners.
Upon completion of these requirements the student is eligible for a certificate and may apply for the State Board of Cosmetic Arts examination. Upon successfully passing the State Board exam, graduates will be issued a teaching certificate.