The cosmetology curriculum is designed to provide competency-based knowledge, scientific/artistic principles, and hands-on fundamentals associated with the cosmetology industry. The curriculum provides a simulated salon environment which enables students to develop manipulative skills.
Course work includes instruction in all phases of professional imaging, hair design, chemical processes, skin care, nail care, multi-cultural practices, business/computer principles, product knowledge, and other selected topics.
Graduates should qualify to sit for the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts examination. Upon successfully passing the State Board exam, graduates will be issued a license. Employment is available in beauty salons and related businesses.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the use of safety and infection control practices as they perform client services.
- Conduct cosmetic services successfully by applying Professional Ethics.
- Develop cosmetology skills including hairstyling, haircutting, chemical applications, various hair color services, wet setting, thermal styling, ethnic hairstyling, manicures, pedicures, artificial nails, artificial hair, and skin care services.
- Pass a mock final examination of the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts examination prior to completing the program.
- Demonstrate appropriate customer service attributes to ensure effective client consultations and customer relations.
- Demonstrate effective public speaking skills to ensure effective client consultations and customer relations.
- Demonstrate effective management skills to maximize daily business operations.
Course Selection Information
Students, to help you progress in your degree program, take prerequisite courses along with English and Math early in your academic career. This will align you for greater success in completing your program of study. Click on the courses listed below to ensure you are aware of prerequisites. The order shown below under the student program priorities is a guide.
Student Program Priorities:
- COS 111 , COS 112