The Human Services Technology curriculum prepares students for entry-level positions in institutions and agencies which provide social, community, and educational services. Along with core courses, students take courses which prepare them for specialization in specific human service areas.
Students will take courses from a variety of disciplines. Emphasis in core courses is placed on development of relevant knowledge, skills, and attitudes in human services. Fieldwork experience will provide opportunities for application of knowledge and skills learned in the classroom.
Graduates should qualify for positions in mental health, child care, family services, social services, rehabilitation, correction, and educational agencies. Graduates choosing to continue their education may select from a variety of transfer programs at senior public and private institutions.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Identify the knowledge, skills, and roles of a human service worker.
- Analyze experiential learning in small groups and identify and explain the interactions of group members in group settings.
- Perform basic interviewing skills needed to function in a helping relationship using the Microskills Model.
- Demonstrate performance of counseling techniques.
- Demonstrate an integration of the knowledge, skills, and experiences gained in classroom and clinical experiences with emerging trends in the field.
- Assess crisis situations and respond with the appropriate differential techniques applicable to various crisis situations.
- Demonstrate professional work ethics/traits and personal behaviors necessary for career success.
- Apply multicultural competence in service delivery.
Course Selection Information
Students, to help you progress in your degree program, take prerequisite courses along with English and Math early in your academic career. This will align you for greater success in completing your program of study. Click on the courses listed below to ensure you are aware of prerequisites. The order shown below under the student program priorities is a guide.
Student Program Priorities:
- HSE 110 , HSE 112 , PSY 150