Oct 01, 2020
The Health and Fitness Science curriculum prepares multi-skilled fitness professionals to be qualified to perform various skills in the health and fitness industry. Graduates of the Health and Fitness Science program will be required to sit for an accredited certified personal trainer exam before graduation. Graduates may also be eligible to sit for a variety of other examinations that pertain to the health and fitness industry. Employment opportunities include YMCAs, fitness studios, parks and recreation departments, hospitals, sports performance facilities, and other health and fitness areas.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competency and knowledge of kinesiology and exercise physiology.
- Demonstrate, instruct, and administer proper exercise testing methods.
- Design, plan, and lead individual and group exercise programs.
- Demonstrate competency in the knowledge, skills, and abilities to be a successful and proficient personal trainer.
- Demonstrate competency and knowledge of fitness facility management.
Course Selection Information
Students, to help you progress in your degree program, take prerequisite courses along with English and Math early in your academic career. This will align you for greater success in completing your program of study. Click on the courses listed below to ensure you are aware of prerequisites. The order shown below under the student program priorities is a guide.
Student Program Priorities:
- HFS 110
- HFS 111
Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Health and Fitness Science (HFS) program MUST meet all Gaston College admission requirements for GENERAL ADMISSION to the college.
- Complete Residency Determination
- Submit a Gaston College application
- Apply for financial aid
- Meet with an advisor and/or attend an information session
- Submit official high school (and college, if applicable) transcripts
- Provide proof of course placement requirements
Additional Program Requirements for Health and Fitness Science
In addition to maintaining a 2.0 GPA and earning a minimum grade of "C" in all Health and Fitness Science curriculum courses, applicants accepted into the HFS program must meet the following requirements in order to enroll and continue HFS courses.
- A completed Gaston College Health and Human Services Student Medical form documenting satisfactory emotional and physical health signed by a health care practitioner.
- The documentation of additional non-academic criteria includes criminal background checks, urine drug testing, and proof of immunizations. Students are to complete these requirements by registering and paying a fee to a third party vendor. Instructions will be provided by the compliance specialist.
Clinical agencies reserve the right to deny a student access to the facility based on failure to meet the above requirements. Requirements are subject to change by the clinical agency.
Professional liability insurance (malpractice insurance) is arranged through the Gaston College Business Office.
Applicants should be aware that travel in "out-of-service" areas may be required for clinical externship work experiences (Work-Based Learning (WBL) courses).
Select at least three (3) credit hours from the following:
Humanities/Fine Arts Electives
Select one (1) course from the following:
A math course is required for all HFS students. The College will advise all HFS students to take three (3) hours in math. An additional Chemistry course is available for those HFS students who will be preparing for their Baccalaureate degree at UNC Charlotte.