2020-21 Gaston College Catalog [THIS CATALOG IS OUT-OF-DATE. USE THE CURRENT CATALOG TO FIND CURRENT PROGRAMS.]
Information Technology - Information Systems Support, A.A.S. (A25590IS)
The Information Systems Support track is designed to prepare graduates for employment with organizations that use computers to process, manage, and communicate information.
Coursework will develop a student’s ability to communicate complex technical issues related to computer hardware and software in a manner that computer users can understand. Classes cover computer operations and terminology, operating systems, software applications, and technical support.
Graduates should qualify for employment in entry-level positions with business, educational systems, and governmental agencies which rely on computer systems to manage information. Graduates should be prepared to sit for industry-recognized certification exams.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the proper use of terminology in relation to information systems support.
- Identify legal, ethical, social, and security issues related to information systems support.
- Communicate technical issues related to information systems support.
- Utilize current application packages and operating systems.
- Identify the interrelationship between hardware, application packages, and system software.
The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) recognizes the Information Technology-Information Systems Support Associate in Applied Science Degree for accreditation.
Course Selection Information
Students, to help you progress in your degree program, take prerequisite courses along with English and Math early in your academic career. This will align you for greater success in completing your program of study. Click on the courses listed below to ensure you are aware of prerequisites. The order shown below under the student program priorities is a guide.
Student Program Priorities:
- DBA 110
- BAS 120 , CIS 115 , CTI 110 , CTI 120 , CTS 115 , CTS 120 , CTS 130 , CTS 240 , DBA 115 , NOS 130
- CTS 230