Jun 28, 2022
The Esthetics Technology curriculum provides competency-based knowledge, scientific/artistic principles and hands-on fundamentals associated with the art of skin care. The curriculum provides a simulated salon environment which enables students to develop manipulative skills.
Course work includes instruction in all phases of professional Esthetics Technology, business/human relations, product knowledge, and other related topics.
Graduates should be prepared to take the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts Licensing Exam for Estheticians and upon passing, be licensed and qualify for employment in beauty and cosmetic/skin care salons, as a platform artist, and in related businesses.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of the following esthetics concepts: orientation, anatomy, physiology, hygiene, sterilizations, first aid, chemistry, basic dermatology, and professional ethics.
- Demonstrate safe and competent techniques for the following procedures: client consultation, facials, body treatments, hair removal, makeup applications, and color analysis.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the following advanced esthetics concepts: nutrition, business management, makeup, and color analysis.
- Demonstrate safe and competent techniques for the following advanced procedures: machine facials, aromatherapy, skin manipulations, electricity and apparatus.
- Sit for the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts Esthetics Licensing Exam for Estheticians.
Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Esthetics Technology MUST meet the requirements for GENERAL ADMISSION to Gaston College.
- Submit a Gaston College Application
- Complete Residency Determination for in-state tuition
- Apply for financial aid
- Meet with an advisor / Attend an information session
- Submit official transcripts
- Provide proof of course placement requirements
Additional Requirements to be Eligible to Submit an Application to the Esthetics Technology Program
- Applicants must fill out a separate Esthetics application.
- Must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 or better in required college courses.
- Must have grades of “C” or better in all related courses.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from all clinical, laboratory and class activities.
Gaston College Esthetics Technology Certificate program is licensed by the NC Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners.
Upon completion of these requirements the student is eligible for a certificate and may apply for the State Board of Cosmetic Arts examination. Upon successfully passing the State Board exam, graduates will be issued an Esthetics license.