Oct 26, 2021
This certificate will provide a background in developmentally appropriate practices for children, ages birth through eight years. Emphasis will be placed on age and individual appropriate planning. Courses in this certificate will also focus on positive child guidance techniques and effective communication with the child, family and community. This certificate also provides an opportunity for the individual to obtain the North Carolina Early Childhood Credential Certificate.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Promoting child development and learning:
a. Knowing and understanding young children's characteristics and needs.
b. Knowing and understanding the multiple influences on development and learning.
c. Using developmental knowledge to create healthy, respectful, supportive, and challenging learning environments.
- Building family and community relationships by knowing about and understanding family and community characteristics.
a. Knowing about and understanding diverse family and community characteristics.
b. Supporting and engaging families and communities through respectful, reciprocal relationships.
c. Involving families and communities and their children's development and learning.
Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Early Childhood Education program MUST meet all Gaston College admission requirements for GENERAL ADMISSION to the college.
- Submit a Gaston College Application
- Complete Residency Determination for in-state tuition
- Apply for financial aid
- Meet with an advisor / Attend an information session
- Submit official transcripts
- Provide proof of course placement requirements
Additional Program Requirements for Early Childhood Education
- Have grades of "C" or better in all required program courses.
- All students are required to submit documentation of additional non-academic criteria which will include a valid Criminal Background Check (CBC) qualification letter obtained through DCDEE. Instructions will be provided in EDU 119. Students who do not submit a valid CBC Qualification letter will not successfully complete Early Childhood Education.
The courses taken in this certificate program may be applied toward the Diploma and the Associate in Applied Science degree in Early Childhood Education.