Jun 28, 2022
The diploma in early education is designed to provide training in addition to that required by beginning workers. It does provide training as required by the State of North Carolina but at a level that helps the teacher learn to diagnose the needs of his/her children and prepare appropriate lessons according to those needs.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Promoting child development and learning:
a. Knowing and understanding young children’s characteristics and needs.
b. Knowing and understanding the multiple influences on development and learning.
c. Using developmental knowledge to create healthy, respectful, supportive, and challenging learning environments.
- Building family and community relationships by knowing about and understanding family and community characteristics.
a. Knowing about and understanding diverse family and community characteristics.
b. Supporting and engaging families and communities through respectful, reciprocal relationships.
c. Involving families and communities and their children’s development and learning.
- Observing, documenting and assessing to support young children and families:
a. Knowing about assessment partnerships with families and other professionals.
b. Knowing about and using observation, documentation, and other appropriate assessment tools and approaches.
c. Understanding and practicing responsible assessment to promote positive outcomes for each child.
d. Knowing about assessment partnerships with families and other professional colleagues.
- Using developmentally effective approaches to connect with children and families:
a. Understanding positive relationships and supportive interactions as the foundation of working with children.
b. Knowing and understanding effective strategies and tools for early education.
c. Using a broad repertoire of developmentally appropriate teaching/learning approaches.
d. Reflecting on one’s own practice to promote positive outcomes for each child.
Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Early Childhood Education program MUST meet all Gaston College admission requirements for GENERAL ADMISSION to the college.
- Submit a Gaston College Application
- Complete Residency Determination for in-state tuition
- Apply for financial aid
- Meet with an advisor / Attend an information session
- Submit official transcripts
- Provide proof of course placement requirements
Additional Program Requirements for Early Childhood Education
- Have grades of “C” or better in all required program courses.
- All students are required to submit documentation of additional non-academic criteria which will include a valid Criminal Background Check (CBC) qualification letter obtained through DCDEE. Instructions will be provided in EDU 119. Students who do not submit a valid CBC Qualification letter will not successfully complete Early Childhood Education.
The courses taken in this diploma program may be applied toward the Associate in Applied Science degree in Early Childhood Education.