2019-20 Gaston College Catalog [THIS CATALOG IS OUT-OF-DATE. USE THE CURRENT CATALOG TO FIND CURRENT PROGRAMS.]
Information Technology - Networking and Cyber Defense, A.A.S. (A25590NS)
The Networking and Cyber Defense track prepares individuals for employment supporting network infrastructure environments. The curriculum provides individuals with the skills required to implement effective and comprehensive information security controls.
Course work includes design, installation, configuration, and management of network infrastructure technologies, network operating systems, information policy, and industry best practices to protect data communications.
Graduates may find employment in entry-level jobs as local area network managers, network operators, network analysts, network technicians and security administrators. Graduates may also be qualified to take certification examinations for various network and security industry certifications.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the proper use of terminology in relation to networking and cyber defense.
- Identify legal, ethical, social, and security issues related to networking and cyber defense.
- Install, manage, and maintain workstation and server operating system software.
- Create plans for intrusion detection solutions and identify best practices for the defense of systems.
- Setup and install the hardware for a computer network.
- Apply systematic troubleshooting strategies to solve network/security issues in a switched network/router environment.
The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) recognizes the Information Technology-Networking and Cyber Defense Associate in Applied Science Degree for accreditation.
Course Selection Information
Students, to help you progress in your degree program, take prerequisite courses along with English and Math early in your academic career. This will align you for greater success in completing your program of study. Click on the courses listed below to ensure you are aware of prerequisites. The order shown below under the student program priorities is a guide.
Student Program Priorities:
- CTI 120 , CTI 140 , NET 126 , NOS 130 , SEC 150
- CTI 110 , CTI 240 , CTS 115 , CTS 120 , NET 225 , NOS 230
- NET 226