Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Health and Fitness Science (HFS) program MUST meet all Gaston College admission requirements for GENERAL ADMISSION to the college. Admission to the general college does not guarantee admission to the Health and Fitness Science Program.
To be eligible to submit an application to the associate degree health and fitness science program applicants must:
- Submit a Gaston College Application
- Complete Residency Determination for in-state tuition
- Apply for financial aid
- Meet with an advisor / Attend an information session
- Submit official transcripts
- Provide proof of course placement requirements:
Students must demonstrate readiness for College level reading and math. Students can demonstrate that readiness in the following ways:
- Provide proof of unweighted US High School GPA of 2.8 or higher within the last ten years.
- Provide proof of an associate or bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Provide proof of satisfactory scores on ACT, SAT, GED, NCDAP, COMPASS, ASSET or ACUPLACER within the last ten years.
Students who do not have recent high school transcripts or test scores within the past 10 years should prepare to take the placement test and demonstrate:
Mastery on RISE (Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence) English placement Tier 2 and RISE Math placement Tier 3; OR successfully complete ENG 002 through TIER 2 (grade of P2) and MAT 003 through Tier 3 (grade of P3).
Competitive Admission Criteria
The following may be considered by the Health and Fitness Science Program Admissions Committee in the selection process of qualified applicants:
- College degree/diploma
- College level Anatomy & Physiology course
- College level English course
- College level Math course
- College level Physical Education/Health courses
- CPR Certification (current)
- College level Psychology course
- Accredited Fitness Certification (current)
- Previous fitness work experience
Additional Requirements Upon Admission to the Health and Fitness Science Program
In addition to maintaining a 2.0 GPA and earning a minimum grade of “C” in all Health and Fitness Science curriculum courses, applicants accepted into the HFS program must meet the following requirements in order to enroll and continue HFS courses.
- A completed Gaston College Health and Human Services Student Medical form documenting satisfactory emotional and physical health signed by a health care practitioner.
- The documentation of additional non-academic criteria includes criminal background checks, urine drug testing, and proof of immunizations. Students are to complete these requirements by registering and paying a fee to a third party vendor. Instructions will be provided by the compliance specialist.
Clinical agencies reserve the right to deny a student access to the facility based on failure to meet the above requirements. Requirements are subject to change by the clinical agency.
Professional liability insurance (malpractice insurance) is arranged through the Gaston College Business Office.
Applicants should be aware that travel in “out-of-service” areas may be required for clinical externship work experiences (Work-Based Learning (WBL) courses).
In addition to tuition and textbooks, costs of this program include the following: a physical examination, immunizations, criminal background check, drug screen, and the fees for the required Certified Personal Trainer Examination (re-test only).