Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Emergency Medical Science - Bridging Program MUST meet the Gaston College admission requirements.
Admission to the general college does not guarantee admission to the Emergency Medical Science - Bridging Program.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Complete Emergency Medical Science - Bridging Program application. This form is in the program application packet.
- Meet with an academic advisor.
Provide copies of the following documentation with the program application:
- Current North Carolina Paramedic Certification
- Valid driver's license
- Letter from an EMS director verifying 1,000 hours or more of direct patient contact in the EMS field as a Paramedic. This documentation must be on department letterhead.
- EMS continuing education records during the current certification period
- AHA Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider CPR certification
- ACLS Provider Certification
- PALS or PEPP Provider certification or equivalent
- ITLS or PHTLS certification or equivalent
- Other relevant EMS continuing education
- Must be eligible for NREMT testing and certification prior to the last semester attending the program.
- The Emergency Medical Science-Bridging Program does not provide eligibility to sit for NREMT Paramedic testing if the applicant has not graduated from a nationally accredited program or a program that holds a letter of review after January 1, 2013.
- Gaston College will award experiential credit for core Paramedic courses toward the Associate of Applied Science in Emergency Medical Science with the proper documentation.
Emergency Medical Science - Bridging Track Admission Information
- Meet the college admission requirements
- Maintain an overall GPA minimum of 2.0 in college level coursework in related classes and core courses in the EMS program of study.
- Submit proof of additional admission requirements
Applicants accepted into the Emergency Medical Science - Bridging Program must maintain, and provide copies of, all certifications listed as additional program entry requirements.
Emergency Medical Science - Bridging Track
Gaston College will award experiential credit for core Paramedic courses toward the Associate of Applied Science in Emergency Medical Science with the proper documentation. Students must earn at least 25% semester credit hours of their course work at Gaston College in order to receive a degree.