2017-18 Gaston College Catalog
Fire Protection Technology - Industrial Fire Protection Certificate (C55240)
The Industrial Fire Brigade Certificate curriculum is designed to provide students with knowledge and skills in the technical, managerial, and leadership areas necessary for advancement within the fire protection community and related firefighting industries, and to provide currently employed
firefighters and safety professionals with knowledge and skills often required for promotional consideration.
Course work includes diverse fire protection subject areas, including fire protection systems, building construction, along with local, state, and federal laws and standards, as they apply to emergency services management and industrial safety. Emphasis includes understanding fire characteristics and the structural consequences of fire; risk assessment and management; and relevant research, communications, and leadership methodologies.
Employment opportunities include fire departments, governmental agencies, industrial firms, insurance rating organizations, and educational organizations.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic fire protection engineering concepts, fire protection systems evaluation and design, as it relates to risk reduction.
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge of the functions of planning, organizing, directing and controlling as applicable to leadership in fire and industrial safety.
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge of the local, state and national standards appropriate to fire safety.
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge of human resources and safety management as it relates to the work place.
- Demonstrate written and oral communication skills, applicable to fire and industrial safety.