2017-18 Gaston College Catalog [THIS CATALOG IS OUT-OF-DATE. USE THE CURRENT CATALOG TO FIND CURRENT PROGRAMS.]
Esthetics Technology Certificate (C55230)
The Esthetics Technology curriculum provides competency-based knowledge, scientific/artistic principles and hands-on fundamentals associated with the art of skin care. The curriculum provides a simulated salon environment which enables students to develop manipulative skills.
Course work includes instruction in all phases of professional Esthetics Technology, business/human relations, product knowledge, and other related topics.
Graduates should be prepared to take the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts Licensing Exam for Estheticians and upon passing, be licensed and qualify for employment in beauty and cosmetic/skin care salons, as a platform artist, and in related businesses.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of the following esthetics concepts: orientation, anatomy, physiology, hygiene, sterilizations, first aid, chemistry, basic dermatology, and professional ethics.
- Demonstrate safe and competent techniques for the following procedures: client consultation, facials, body treatments, hair removal, makeup applications, and color analysis.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the following advanced esthetics concepts: nutrition, business management, makeup, and color analysis.
- Demonstrate safe and competent techniques for the following advanced procedures: machine facials, aromatherapy, skin manipulations, electricity and apparatus.
- Sit for the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts Esthetics Licensing Exam for Estheticians.