2017-18 Gaston College Catalog
Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Technology Diploma (D35100)
The Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Technology curriculum provides the basic knowledge to develop skills necessary to work with residential and light commercial systems.
Topics include mechanical refrigeration, heating and cooling theory, electricity, controls, and safety. The diploma program covers air conditioning, furnaces, heat pumps, tools and instruments. Diploma graduates should be able to assist in the start up, preventive maintenance, service, repair, and/or installation of residential and light commercial systems.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Install HVAC equipment compliant with local codes.
- Employ the skills to service and repair HVAC equipment in a timely and cost efficient manner.
- Practice human relations skills with the diverse population requiring the services of HVAC technicians.
- Complete the Environmental Protection Agency certification to handle refrigerants.
- Demonstrate basic tool usage.
- Integrate a commitment to ethical and professional behavior in all activities.
- Exhibit knowledge and hands on ability to perform electrical repairs in an efficient and safe manner.
- Exhibit knowledge and hands on ability to perform soldering techniques in a safe manner.
- Exhibit knowledge of safety equipment used in the HVAC field.