2017-18 Gaston College Catalog [THIS CATALOG IS OUT-OF-DATE. USE THE CURRENT CATALOG TO FIND CURRENT PROGRAMS.]
Fire Protection Technology, A.A.S. (A55240)
The Fire Protection Technology curriculum is designed to provide individuals with technical and professional knowledge to make decisions regarding fire protection for both public and private sectors. It also provides a sound foundation of continuous higher learning in fire protection, administration, and management. Course work includes classroom and laboratory exercise to introduce the students to various aspects of fire protection. Students will learn technical and administrative skills such as hydraulics, and hazardous materials. The curriculum includes areas such as the scientific understanding of fire hazards and their control and general courses that prepare one to work with people harmoniously.
Careers: Opportunities are excellent for individuals with adequate ability and training. Students seeking employment may be hired by governmental agencies, industrial firms, educational organizations, and insurance rating organizations. Employed persons should have opportunities for positions requiring increased skill and responsibility as they increase their job competence. Each class session is offered twice weekly to accommodate shift schedules - students may choose the session they wish to attend each week.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate fire prevention practices, per NFPA 1021 guidelines.
- Demonstrate written and oral communication skills, applicable to the fire service, incorporating NFPA 1041 and 1021.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the financial processes associated with the fire service.
- Demonstrate and apply fire-ground operations management, to include applicable NFPA standards and guidelines.
- Demonstrate knowledge of fire service organization and management.
- Demonstrate knowledge of an effective emergency management program to include applicable NFPA standards and guidelines.