2017-18 Gaston College Catalog [THIS CATALOG IS OUT-OF-DATE. USE THE CURRENT CATALOG TO FIND CURRENT PROGRAMS.]
Broadcasting and Production Technology, A.A.S. (A30120)
Students enrolled in the Broadcasting Production Technology curriculum will develop professional skills in radio, television, audio, video, and related applications.
Training will emphasize speech, script writing, production planning, editing, and post production. Students will also study the development of the broadcasting industry, sales, ethics, law, marketing, and management. Hands-on training and teamwork approaches are essential to the instructional process.
Upon successful completion, students are prepared to enter broadcasting, production, and related industries in a variety of occupations.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history and development of broadcasting (radio, television, internet/new media) regulation, technology, programming, marketing, and sales.
- Determine the significant legal and ethical issues based on an understanding of case law, administrative law, and landmark interpretations of the first, sixth, and fourteenth amendments of the constitution of the United States.
- Apply proper operation and care for broadcast equipment including:
- Audio console
- Digital Audio Editing
- Emergency Alert System
- Studio and ENG video cameras/camcorders
- Digital Video
- Employs professional speech techniques including proper articulation, pronunciation, rate, pitch, and breathing, and inflection, projection, phrasing, and connecting with the audience.
- Formulate standard script writing techniques and formats for radio, television, internet/new media for news, entertainment, and advertising messages
- Construct principles of broadcast sales including prospecting, qualifying, needs analysis, presentation, answering objections, closing, and relationship management.
- Analyze audience research techniques and demographics.
- Differentiate professional work ethic traits and personal behaviors necessary for career success:
- Positive attitude
- Respect for employer, co-workers, and audience
- Time management/punctuality
- Conscientious with details
- Constantly learning