May 27, 2018
The Nurse Aide curriculum prepares individuals to work under the supervision of licensed nursing professionals in performing nursing care and services for all persons of all ages.
Topics include growth and development, personal care, vital signs, communication, nutrition, medical asepsis, therapeutic activities, accident and fire safety, household environment and equipment management, family resources and services, and employment skills.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate knowledge of the role and awareness of the scope of practice for Nurse Aide I and II in North Carolina.
- Demonstrate mastery of skills required by DHSR, NCBON, and NCCCS for education of nurse aides in North Carolina.
- Demonstrate mastery of skills required to successfully practice as a medication aide in North Carolina.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the role and awareness of the scope of practice of the medication aide in North Carolina.
NAS 101 (Nurse Aide I) Admission Requirements
- Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Nurse Aide Program MUST meet all Gaston College admission requirements.
- Registration will be per Gaston College procedure online, by telephone, or in person.
- Provide a government issued picture identification (for example: driver's license, military ID, or passport).
- Students in the program must sign up with Certified Background. For a cost of $104.00 a criminal background will be completed according to requirements set by our clinical partners. A drug screen form should be downloaded and the test completed according to instructions. In addition the following forms must be uploaded to the student's file:
- Current adult and infant CPR certification, through the American Heart Association, must be submitted prior to the first day of class.
- The medical form must be completed in its entirety and must demonstrate evidence of a physical exam within one year prior to the date of the beginning of class. The form must document satisfactory emotional and physical health. This form is available at Certifiedbackground.com for download. The health form must be completed by a duly licensed physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner and must be submitted to the Nurse Aide I department with the completed application packet.
- Prospective students with known or suspected communicable or other serious illnesses are ethically and legally obligated to evaluate their health status in view of client safety. In addition, a physician's statement must be provided documenting that the disease state has been resolved or adequately controlled.
- Hepatitis B vaccine is suggested for all Nurse Aide I students. Should the student choose to decline the Hepatitis B vaccine, he/she will need to sign a declination form which can be downloaded at certified background.
- The student must provide documentation of the following immunizations:
- 2 step TB skin test
- Tetanus/Pertussis shot in last ten years
- MMR and booster or positive titer
- Hepatitis immunization series or copy of declination form and/or waiver
- Positive varicella titer or immunizations X 2 (IGg)
NAS 102 (Nurse Aide II) Admission Requirements
Students applying for admission to the Gaston College Nurse Aide Program for Nurse Aide II course MUST meet all Gaston College admission requirements and all requirements stated above for admission into Nurse Aide I.
In addition to the requirements for Nurse Aide I, all Nurse Aide II students must meet these additional requirements before being admitted to the course:
- Must present a certificate showing they have completed a State approved Nurse Aide I Class of 75 to 120 hours and must be listed on the NC aide registry prior to registration for class.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED (sealed and unopened).
- Must have a valid CPR card.
Some financial aid will not cover the Nurse Aide I classes because they are certificate-level courses. Please check with your financial aid specialist prior to expecting third party payers to cover the expenses incurred for this course.