The Human Services Technology Developmental Disabilities concentration is designed to train technicians to work with children and adults with physical, mental, and emotional disabilities. Students will specialize in the study of developmental and intellectual disabilities. Students will gain an understanding of the handicapping effects of developmental disabilities in medical, psychological, social, educational, vocational, and economic terms. Fieldwork and clinical experience in community agencies providing comprehensive services to disabled persons and their families will be provided. Graduates should qualify for employment in group homes, foster care homes, respite services, vocational rehabilitation agencies, sheltered workshops, adult developmental activities programs, early childhood intervention programs, and other programs for individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities and their families.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Develop a philosophy concerning the provision of human services supports to people with developmental disabilities based upon current research and practice and historical and legal foundations.
- Use a person-centered approach to demonstrate ability to support communication, choice, participation and independence in others.
- Identify effective practices to help improve the health and well-being across the life span for people with developmental disabilities.
- Describe and demonstrate the use of supports for job seekers to acquire and maintain meaningful employment.
- Identify the changing needs of aging individuals with developmental disabilities and their families and caregivers.
- Compare the roles of various allied health and human services professionals in supporting the health, well-being and social inclusion of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Identify and demonstrate evidence-based practices in supporting lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate ability to address ethical issues affecting people with developmental disabilities.
- Demonstrate professional work ethics/traits and personal behaviors necessary for career success.