Pending approval for aid eligibility.
This curriculum is designed to prepare students for careers in the Health Sciences.
Students will complete general education courses that provide a foundation for success in nursing and allied health curricula. Students may select a career pathway that will prepare them for an entry level position in health care. Courses may also provide foundational knowledge needed in the pursuit of advanced health science degrees or programs.
Graduates should qualify for an entry-level job associated with the program major. such as Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT), Medical Assistant, Nurse Aide, Pharmacy Technician, Phlebotomist, or Massage Therapist dependent upon the selected program major.
Nurse Aide: The Nurse Aide curriculum prepares individuals to work under the supervision of licensed nursing professionals in performing nursing care and services for persons of all ages. Topics include growth and development, personal care, vital signs, communication, nutrition, medical asepsis, therapeutic activities, accident and fire safety, household environment and equipment management, family resources and services, and employment skills. Upon completion, students should be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills and safe performance of skills necessary to be eligible for listing on the North Carolina Nurse Aide I & Nurse Aide II Registry.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Complete General education courses required for entry into chosen health field.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the role and awareness of the scope of practice for Nurse Aide I and II in North Carolina.
- Demonstrate mastery of skills required by DHSR, NCBON, and NCCCS for education of nurse aides in North Carolina.
Students applying for the Nurse Aide Diploma must meet all Gaston College admission requirements for general admission to the college.
Applications for the Nurse Aide Diploma are accepted for this program year round. There are a limited number of spaces available. Acceptance criteria will be based on high school GPA, Current college GPA, if applicable, scores on placement tests, and an in person interview with the Department Chair.
All students who participate in off campus clinical for health care courses at Gaston College must provide documentation of the following:
- Complete physical form
- 2 step TB skin test in the past 12 months
- Tetanus pertussis immunizations in past ten years
- Positive varicella titer or two chicken pox immunizations
- MMR and Booster, or positive titers for measles, mumps, and rubella
- Hepatitis a/b immunizations (at least two in a series of three)
- Criminal background check according to college procedure showing no convictions for assault, stealing of any kind, drug possession, or violent crimes in the past seven years.
- FBI fingerprint report showing none of the above crimes in past seven years (for CMC clinicals only)
- Flu shot (for selected facilities)
All students will be asked to participate in a random drug test in a time period to be specified by instructors during the course.
These requirements apply to Nurse Aide I and II only.