FIP 256 Munic Public Relations (3 Credit Hours)
Class Hours: 3
Lab Hours: 0
Clinical/Work Experience Hours: 0
This course is a general survey of municipal public relations and their effect on the governmental process referenced in NFPA standard 1035. Topics include principles of public relations, press releases, press conferences, public information officers, image surveys, and the effects of perceived service on fire protection delivery. Upon completion, students should be able to manage public relations functions of organizations which meet elements of NFPA 1021 for Fire Officer I and II.
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the relationship between the media and the fire service.
2. Develop a press release for a specified incident.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the public information officer's responsibilities.
4. Demonstrate the ability to manage a press conference.
5. Discuss the use and management of social media in fire and emergency service organizations.
[Add to Portfolio]